Skip to main content

Emergency Kit for the Prodigal Child

No matter how long you have been a Christian, I have found that there always comes a time where you need to return to God. One of the reasons I say this is that in this walk with Christ, it is can be hard to realize when you have fallen off track. I don’t know about you, but I have fallen off so many times thinking that I was perfectly fine and walking in the obedience. One thing I have had to address many times is pride. It rears its ugly head in ways you never expect and by the time you realize, it has taken root in ways that you could have never imagined.

This blog, is a reminder to myself that it is essential to regularly take stock of my life and check in with God to make sure that my life is in alignment with the His will. Checking in with Him will ensure that I  don’t get lost in the motions of life and be aware.

 

Returning to God after straying so far away from Him is a thing that is hard for me to do if I'm being completely honest. Sin makes me feel so small and unworthy. I often find myself thinking, “well, I might as well continue in my sin and rebellion, seeing as I have strayed so far". Even though I know that is a lie of the enemy, I sometimes cannot bring myself to a place of surrender because of the shame that overwhelms me. In spite of this, one truth remains, I cannot afford to not return to God. My life literally depends on it.

 

Here are some things that help me return to God when I stray too far:

 

1.     Acknowledge that you have strayed from God.

Sometimes you don’t even know how you got so far off track until it’s too late. However, when the Holy Spirit prompts you and you come to the realization of how far you have strayed away, acknowledge it. Admit it to yourself that you have gone too far. This is the beginning of your return. Refusing to do so, is a sign of pride. Period!

 

2.     Repent and ask for forgiveness

Humble yourself before God and ask for forgiveness. In addition to asking for forgiveness, be ready to accept His forgiveness because when He forgives, He remembers your sins no more so you shouldn’t either.

 

Note: Psalm 103:12- As far as the east is from the west,
So far has He removed our transgressions from us

 

3.     Know God’s Truth

Remember what the Lord says about you. Remember that God loves you and nothing you do will change that. The devil tries to fill our heads with lies to condemn us and make us feel and think of ourselves unworthy of the love of acceptance of God. However, this is a tactic of the enemy to push us further away from God. God is ready and willing to embrace you with arms wide open and ready to love on you. This doesn’t warrant us to make a habit out of straying away from God, but it is important to know that God loves us and always wants to bring us to a place where we understand His love for us.

 

Note: Romans 8:31-39

 

4.     Get into God’s word and pray

God’s word is our insight into the mind of God for His children. Everything we need to survive in this life and truly walk with Christ is in His word. Through His word, we have access to the heart of God. As difficult as it may be at times, it is important that we a get a daily dose of God’s insight through His word because it is the key to keeping us grounded and steadfast in the faith. In addition to this, PRAY PRAY PRAY. Need I say more? Prayer is how we communicate with God. It is also one of our greatest weapons against the enemy.


Hope this helps you as it has me. 


Thanks for reading. 


Signed, 

Lynnette M.

Comments